Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Box of Skittles and Nail Polish

It's not uncommon for my daughter to curl up on my lap. As best she can. These days she's about 5'3" and will very soon be looking me in the eye.

Tonight she sat on my lap and I was transported 12 years ago today. The day that we first met. Of course, all seven pounds and 19 inches of her most easily fit on my lap that evening in the hospital. A whole different story tonight, but we cuddled just the same.

I vividly remember the moment when we first met in the surgery department at MCMH. After my first born, I knew what to ask for the second time around. I wanted to have my glasses on so that I could actually see her. I wanted them to untie one of my arms so that I could touch her. All things that I didn't get to do with my first baby. I also knew that it would likely be the last time I would give birth, so I tried to take in as much of the experience as I could. Not easy to be aware during major abdominal surgery, but the anesthetist did well by me.

Even though we had a perfectly good boys name picked out, Jameson Paul, it never occurred to me that our Lovey would be a girl. Our John knew, though. He had been calling the bump Lovey for a long time.

"If it's a girl, I think we should name her Emily Elizabeth, like from 'Clifford, the Big Red Dog,' said our Johnny who was just weeks away from his third birthday. "And if it's a boy, we'll call him Clifford!"

Dr. Newman announced that we had a girl and I was without a name. The anesthetist and I went through names as Little Girl Lof was off to the nursery to greet her adoring public. Julia and Kimberly were front runner names. For nearly 24 hours she was Baby Lof, Pumpkin, Muffin, Dolly, and Lovey, until Johnny reminded me.

Emily Elisabeth Ann Lof. Today, age 12 and I could not be more in love with her or more proud. I love every day, even those rather challenging ones. Some days I try to savor more than others...

This week I read a story from Sheryl Sandberg, the CEO of Yahoo! who talked about a nun who told her she was bossy in a very constructive way. She told her that she had leadership skills that would serve her well with a little time and maturity. Ah, yes. I have seen that in my daughter, too. Most excellent leadership skills. Her wit and quick thinking and saying what's on her mind will serve her well with a little time and maturity, and nurture, too.

These days, she's dancing along the tightrope between girlhood and womanhood. The gift bags we put together for her birthday sleepover last week say it all. A box of Skittles candy and a bottle of nail polish.

Thanks be to God.




No comments: