Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Independence - I do declare


Independence 
"freedom from the control, influence, support, aid or the like, of others."


With all due respect to Mr. Webster's dictionary... I'm adding a few personal items to the definition.
freedom from: 
negative self-talk
too much stuff
unrealistic expectations
controlling others or others controlling me


So I'm declaring my own independence. From all of the above....and probably a lot more things that should be added to the list but I'm just not ready to publicly declare here... 


I find myself on my own for a few days right now and I'm deep into The Great Purge dealing with bullet no. 2 - Too Much Stuff. 


Most importantly, I'm reclaiming my house, room by room. Things that used to be his, mine, and ours. Declaring independence from the emotional tax that I have always placed on stuff. And in the process, reclaiming my self.


Armed with a glass of wine, a box of kleenex, packing boxes for keeps and giveaways, and a lot of trash bags, I'm headed to the chill of the basement, enjoying music, sorting through bits and pieces of life, and moving on. As Martha would say, "It's a good thing."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jane. I truly appreciate that.

Monique Shore said...

It is a good thing my friend! Wishing you a future free of these heavy burdens so you are able to spread your wings and fly into a beautiful future! Happy Independence Day!!!

Unknown said...

You are a blessing to me, Monique!