Wednesday, July 18, 2012

BREATHE, DAMNIT!

Who knew that there were so many different ways to breathe?
Seriously - there are special breathing techniques for all kinds of things...
for playing a musical instrument,
singing, 
running,
yoga,
giving birth,
stress management,
to get more oxygen,
swimming..
truly, there is a breathing technique for just about everything. 

I have been told to breathe through my diaphragm, my lungs, my mouth, my nose, my heart, and yoga god Rodney Yee told me to breathe through my eyeballs just the other day. 

Frankly, it's not a technique I need, it's a reminder.

Others usually have to tell me that I'm ready for a paper bag. Sometimes it is a subtle comment..."Laura, are you ok?" And other times, it grabs me by the shoulders, strongly shaking me... "BREATHE, DAMNIT."

Life is crazy and if we don't stop and just breathe, damnit, we're going to miss a lot of it. Use the technique you started with when you took your first breath. It will work. If not, Google has about 493,600,000 suggestions...



No comments: