Sunday, March 18, 2012

March Madness is more than basketball

Today's view from the porch is green... not just because it is St. Patrick's Day but because we have had an unusually warm stretch of weather for mid-March. There are crocuses blooming, daffs not far behind, and even the tulips are pushing up. I've seen magnolias ready to bloom. "March madness" in more ways than one.

We are a men's college basketball household and pride ourselves in being excellent spectators. Our brackets are busted and only the first round of games have been played. But what fun.

March madness refers to the weather, the fun term for the wall-to-wall basketball tournaments for both men and women going on right now, and all the madness in my house these days.
  1. My son passed his test to earn his learner's permit yesterday. Enough said.
  2. Both kids had excellent report cards.
  3. Another birthday bonanza with both kids' birthdays seven days apart, now 14 and 11. 
  4. I'm starting a running program. Yes. At my age.
We missed the joy of March Madness a year ago. At that time, it truly was madness in a very serious way. My children's father was in the hospital with alcohol-related liver failure and all the related complications made it a life-threatening situation. I was encouraged to have what I hope was the most difficult conversation with my children ever. In the lobby of this huge teaching hospital, I told them that their dad might not make it. He might not get better and that he would not be coming home to live with us again. 

The past year has been filled with stops and starts as we found our new way of being normal. What we really discovered is how to live fully and openly. With credit to Paul Johnson for this observation, when we have brought our individual brokenness, sadness, and hurt, together with each other, we have created something really amazing. We have created a new family. 

The joy of spring feels amazing this week. New life, renewal, the world waking up and turning green again. I don't think I have ever enjoyed being alive more. 

No comments: