Friday, March 23, 2012

Homesick for England

So typically English country...

This week has made me homesick for England. It feels like the spring time visits we have made in the past when we have left the brown and gray of Iowa for the intoxicating green humidity of England. The daffs blooming as wildflowers through the woods. With a single rain shower earlier in the week, it seems as though everything was washed with green.
The garden is looking pathetic and wants to be cleaned up. A little at a time and it will get done. This year, more flowers. I envision an explosion of a cottage garden that will supply me with bouquets all summer long and into the fall.

I don't know that I have ever mowed as early as this, but my yard needs to be cut. This Domestic Goddess is expanding her repertoire and has watched a YouTube video on how to sharpen the blade, change the oil, the whole bit. I will not be intimidated....much.
Yes, really.
The beauty of the early spring has thrown allergy fighting into a full-time occupation. In fact, we are starting spring break early with coughs, wheezing, and splitting headaches today. We're popped on antihistimines and laying low. An early spring makes it a long time until the first killing freeze of fall.
This is a familiar spot for the fam! Ipswich quay on the River Orwell


Spring weather like this sparks new ideas and interests. The walk/run thing has started, however... see ref. to allergies above... I am eager to paint and freshen the house. I am making new friends, staying in touch with old friends, and getting to know myself after many years of being disconnected.
The kids are off to spend the week with Grandma and Grandpa and I am thinking of all the alone time I will have. Delicious, yet daunting all at the same time... A break and change of routine is always welcome. I'm thinking cereal for dinner just about every night next week sounds really good. And browsing through photos of spring breaks spent in England will help the homesickness...
What is spring nudging in you? What new growth is pushing its way to the surface in you?

No comments: