Sunday, September 15, 2013

An exercise in exorcism

Here is an exercise I have recently learned in exorcising a negative thought, belief, or emotion that has never served you well. Pick one. Fear seems to be a common thread - fear of success, fear of rejection, fear of Everything. Somewhere inside of you, there is at least one of these limiting beliefs that you need to break up with. Write it out. Recognize what is keeping you from living fully as the person you were created to be. I've noticed how friends of mine lately have been doing a pretty good job of listening to their limiting self-beliefs, standing in their own shadows, and not seeing just how truly extraordinary we all are. This feels pretty darned good, by the way... Here is the letter I wrote to one of my limiting beliefs.

Dear "I Am Not Enough,"

The time has come for us to part ways. You have been a constant companion to me for a very long time and now, I must say goodbye.

Ever since I can remember, you have been with me to ensure that I never felt like I completely measured up to a standard that was
a)false,
b)completely unattainable, and
c) not designed for my unique self.

I've hung around with you for nearly all of my life, and now, I must say goodbye.


I want to thank you for motivating me to learn more about myself, to work hard on self-improvement, and to go within to help me search out ways of being my true self. I have found my true self now and no longer need your yardstick of measurement to tell me that I am not enough, because, I am most certainly more than enough.

All the best,
Doone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this Laura. I serve on the board of the Eating Disorder Coalition of Iowa and the theme of our annual eating disorder awareness event is "I Am Enough". As you may know, eating disorders thrive on with negative self-talk. Thank you for sharing this.
Peg