Saturday, July 23, 2011

There's only two things that money can't buy...

and that's true love and homegrown tomatoes. " - Roy Clark

"The" summer meal is something many people look forward to all year long. For some, it is fresh crab in the Pacific Northwest. In Wisconsin, it's a fish boil.

In Iowa, it is fresh sweet corn and homegrown tomatoes. A "go-to" summer meal around here includes fresh sweet corn and BLT's - bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches. Many an Iowan will not eat a BLT unless there are "real" tomatoes involved and I am one of them. My own tomato plants aren't quite there yet, but the recent hot and humid weather should jump start them. For now, I rely on local growers. Soon, my tomatoes will come from my garden just a few steps from my kitchen door.

The early sweet corn is out of this world. There is nothing else like it. The first amazing meal of summer is a simple one. A bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich with buttered ear of sweet corn. We wait all year for this time and it is well worth the wait.






No comments: